"A Different Way" is how we talk about our vision for a more sustainable future. It is our commitment to creating properties where resources are reused, recycled and restored. It is where new ideas are fostered to support people and the planet, and where we take initiatives to create healthier workplaces for our people and customers.
To achieve our goals, we have focused "A Different Way" on three core areas, being (i) Progressive Thinking, (ii) People Focused and (iii) Restoring Resources. Each area is supported by goals and targets that form the basis of the sustainability strategy. The progress of the strategy implementation is monitored during regular sustainability reviews and the targets are reviewed and updated on an annual basis, to ensure that we continue to lead the way.'
Sustainability priorities evolve constantly. We need to constantly rethink and reconsider our investments to ensure a continuous focus on the future, and make choices that help us to look after both people and planet. We are working hard to make sustainability a priority throughout our business.
• Participate in the Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB) and achieve a high rating by 2017. (Achieved)
• All eligible portfolio properties to achieve Green Star Performance certification by 2018 with the aim of achieving an average portfolio rating of 4 stars by 2018.
To stay ahead, we need to be flexible and resilient in the way we operate. We need to develop scalable solutions and adaptable buildings that will withstand shifts in extreme weather events and climate change impacts.
• Undertake a climate risk assessment on 100% of all investments by 2017 and develop climate adaptation plans based on the assessment outcome.
As a business, we are fostering an innovation culture. Only through ongoing innovation can we stay relevant to our people, customers and investors. Innovation will help us reduce risks and create tangible benefits for everyone.
• Identify opportunities for innovation - incremental through to breakthrough, with a sustainability focus.
Our properties are not just made of concrete and steel. They are also about jobs, connections, safety, and wellbeing. This is why we are creating a workplace that is diverse, inclusive and safe, and promotes a healthy and active lifestyle.
• Implement a staff gender target by 2017. (Achieved)
• Implement a flexible working policy for staff by 2018. (Achieved)
We help our customers reduce logistic transport fuel emissions by developing industrial sites in proximity to their logistics needs.
• Develop a sustainable logistic transport framework and methodology by 2017. (Achieved);
We recognise that our success as a business is intrinsically linked to the talent and expertise of our people. This is why we are committed to growing individual skills and leadership qualities across our business.
• Train all relevant staff in sustainability and Green Star-related knowledge by 2017. (Achieved)
• Target a high GRESB rating by 2017. (Achieved)
The ongoing health and wellbeing of our people and customers is important to us. Monitoring and understanding the indoor environment quality of our properties allows us to create healthier workplaces.
• Implement a health and wellbeing program for our business – targeting to achieve an 80% participation rate by 2020.
• Require all industrial assets to have annual Indoor Environment Quality (IEQ) measurements based on Green Star Performance indicators by 2018.
• Encourage health and wellbeing by our customers by trialling the ”Live Life Get Active” (LLGA) program in one industrial estate by 2018.
We want to be smarter and more efficient in the way we use the planet’s finite resources, and ultimately, regenerate what we use.
• Undertake LED and solar PV analysis for existing properties and present it to customers by 2017. (Achieved)
• Undertake LED lighting upgrades and install solar PV panels across 25% of the portfolio by area by 2018.
When it comes to water use, we are committed to understanding our impact in greater detail. We have also set ambitious targets to enable us to rethink our approach to water use and reuse.
• Undertake water conservation and reuse feasibility studies for our most water-intensive sites by 2018.
As part of our commitment to regeneration, and to reusing resources wherever possible, we are in the process of implementing new systems to help us understand our customers’ waste in the best way possible.
• Develop an end of life waste policy in order to minimise construction waste from end of life of interior fit outs by 2017.
• Undertake a study of operational waste management practices on one representative facility to allow a better understanding of the opportunities to reduce waste to landfill by 2017.
As a business, we strive to conserve, regenerate and enhance the planet’s ecosystems.
• Develop best practice maintenance procedures for landscaping and hard surfaces in line with the Green Star Performance requirements by 2017.
We realise that our impact extends beyond our operations to our supply chain. This is why we are on a mission to source only the safest, most renewable and responsible materials, and we’re working with our suppliers to make this a reality.
• Develop sustainable procurement guidelines for purchasing consumables to encourage sustainability and transparency in product specification by 2017.
We have the largest industrial Green Star performance rated portfolio in Australia